[cctbxbb] structure factor interpolation

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 12:01:32 PST 2008

Hi Jon,

> Perhaps I have misunderstoond the question.... Isn't it equivalent for
> the unit cell to be expanded in real space so that the lattice points
> are compressed in reciprocal space? Just expand the structure to P1 and
> keep the atoms fixed in real space orthogonal angstrom co-ordinates.
> Like this it seems you can get the reciprocal space points whereever you
> want?

I think that's correct, but you need to decide how big to make the
pseudo unit cell, and how to interpolate. I looked at the phaser code,
where they have simple two-point interpolation, four-point and eight-point.

We have cctbx.crystal.non_crystallographic_symmetry(), which uses
cctbx.uctbx.non_crystallographic_unit_cell() to do the actual work, and
cctbx.uctbx.non_crystallographic_unit_cell_with_the_sites_in_its_center()
which moves the coordinates around.

And we have cctbx.maptbx.non_crystallographic_eight_point_interpolation,
implemented in cctbx/maptbx/eight_point_interpolation.h .

Hope this helps.

Ralf