[cctbxbb] Best way to compare incomplete f_hkl to calculated f_hkl

Jan Marten Simons marten at xtal.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Apr 11 03:00:38 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm looking at the best (=fastest) way to compare a (possibly incomplete) list
of observed reflections f_hkl_obs (or fo2_hkl_obs) to the f_hkl_calc of
calculated structure factors or intensities from a model structure.

in miller.py there is a function to calculate a difference between f_obs and
f_calc, but it asserts that all reflections are present in f_obs:

def f_obs_minus_f_calc(self, f_obs_factor, f_calc):
 assert f_calc.is_complex_array()
 assert self.indices().all_eq(f_calc.indices())
 assert self.anomalous_flag() is f_calc.anomalous_flag()

In my case it's possible that some reflections could not be observed so they
should either be skipped or be assumed to be of zero intensity. As I could not
locate the definition for .all_eq(...), yet I'm not sure if this is already
handled and if it is how it is done.

Then there is f_obs_minus_xray_structure_f_calc in miller.py as well. Would
this be a better approach if the model structure changes quite often? What if
I just got f_calc from another source (like doing some custom sped-up partial
structure factor calculation)?

In general: What would be your advice on this with cctbx?

With regards,

 Dipl. Phys.
  Jan M. Simons

Institute of Crystallography