[cctbxbb] Best way to do 3d xyz plots with cctbx?

Nat Echols nathaniel.echols at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:20:16 PDT 2011

2011/6/7 Jan Marten Simons <marten at xtal.rwth-aachen.de>

> I noticed cctbx has some custom wx based graphic windows to display various
> specialized plots and visualisations. I'm interested in generating some
> simple
> 3d xyz plots like in [1]. Is functionality for this included in cctbx or
> should I rather use another python based plotter for this?

CCTBX itself doesn't do this - we're using a third-party library called
matplotlib:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

Our modules simply encapsulate the plots in wxPython windows and handle some
of the repetitive tasks.  These are useful for building custom apps (they're
used extensively in the GUI for PHENIX), but matplotlib also has a much
simpler API that can be used interactively; I think it's patterned after
matlab.  The website has some good examples (with code) of 3D plots.  My
main complaint is that the 3D rendering is much too slow to be useful
interactively (i.e. rotating with the mouse, etc.) - they're obviously not
using OpenGL.  (The benefit of this is that you can still run it offline and
save to an image/PS/PDF file.)

-Nat