[cctbxbb] CCTBX for Debian + PATCH

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 12 18:36:15 PDT 2011

> Could you re-do the patch to reduce repetitive code?
>

> E.g.
>

> -if (env_etc.static_libraries): builder = envlm.StaticLibrary
> -else:                          builder = envlm.SharedLibrary
> +if (env_etc.static_libraries):
> +  builder = envlm.StaticLibrary
> +else:
> +  if hasattr(envlm, 'VersionedSharedLibrary'):
> +    builder = envlm.VersionedSharedLibrary
> +  else:
> +    builder = envlm.SharedLibrary
> +
>

> builder = env_etc.get_library_builder(env=envlm)
>

> with the currently repeated code centralized in libtbx/SConscript
> under
>

> def get_library_builder(env):
>
> If you send me your sourceforge user name I'll enable svn write
> permission for you, so that you can check in the patch directly.
I can try, but I don't have much experience with Scons so far, therefore
I'd prefer not to write directly to svn, so I don't break anything :D
But if someone could review my patch before, I can do it. My account is
'raybuntu'

> We don't depend on PyCifRW anymore. Instead we are now using
> iotbx.cif;
> http://cctbx.sf.net/iotbx_cif/
Ok, I just found that in your cctbx_bundle.tar.gz and thought it's still
active.

> When you copy .py files into the /usr directories, could you
> automatically insert
> from __future__ import division
> as the first line of all .py files?
In case of a Debian package I'd have to write a patch, since Debian
doesn't allow direct manipulation of upstream tarball's. But I could do
it very easy and fast with my zsh and sed:
'''
cd cctbx_sources
sed -i '1i from __future__ import division' **/*.py
'''
Probably a setup.py could correct that too.

> This question has been asked several times before. It would indeed be
> good to have optional support for something that works like "python
> setup.py install". I'm not sure what's the best way to implement this.
> Maybe start with the scripts that you have already? Would it make
> sense to check them in under an new directory? (Note that we already
> have rpmbuild at the top level; does this help in any way?)
My hacks to get things to the places they belong are some basic shell
tricks that are very bad and I'm not satisfied with them. Today I
started making a setup.py.

> The libtbx/configure framework is designed to avoid copies of Python
> sources. If you run "python setup.py install" copies are made. This is
> extremely confusing in development. I.e. we really need to keep the
> libtbx/configure framework, but it would be good to also have scripts
> that copy into the /usr directories for needs like yours.

OK, I have an opinion how this could be done (just an idea):
The libtbx/configure is not bad. Maybe it could produce a 'setup.py'.
The SConscripts should offer an optional install target (scons supports
that). This install target copies the shared libraries to $prefix/lib,
extensions to $prefix/lib/python.X.Y/pymodules, runs a 'setup.py' which
installs all modules to $prefix/share/pyshared. So nothing would really
change the way it is the only thing would be an optional: "scons install
PREFIX=/usr" to copy the files. OK the paths it installs are very Debian
specific here but I think we can find a solution here, mostly because
Debian has a helper script that can correct paths very good.

I also think we need to distinguish cctbx developer and end user. The
end user is not really interested in cctbx_sources. Either she/he is a C
++ or a Python developer. So when she/he is a Python developer he just
needs the modules, extensions and shared libraries. The *.h, *.hpp, *.c,
*.cpp files doesn't interested her/him. On the other hand the C++ Dev.
only needs the shared libraries + some header files.

Radi