[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 30 11:29:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Radostan Riedel
<raybuntu at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeah I understand the reasons if you distribute binary bundles but source
> bundles?  Normally if I want to compile something myself I'm aware of the work
> I'll have to do. Also cctbx is not mainstream as I understand it. It's for
> software developers.  And I naively believe software developers know how to compile and
> install software :D.

They may know how, but some of us are quite lazy and/or impatient, and
our experience has been that it's difficult to convince other
developers to adopt a package that requires so much effort to set up.

> End-Users are using Phenix or Olex2 etc. Olex2 for example is
> bundling cctbx too so mainstream users are normally not confronted with that.
> But I don't want to change your distribute system I'd just think it'd be nice to
> have an additional minimal unbundled package for freaks like myself ;).

Can't you just use the SVN checkout for this?

> Are you just using your test system to evaluate? I ran the tests with my
> system libraries and they worked fine is this a guarantee for me that it's working?

Yes, I think this should be relatively safe - if you find cases where
this turns out not to be the case, it would mean that our test
coverage is incomplete.

-Nat