[cctbxbb] RE : cctbx debian package: new commit

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 3 02:59:19 PDT 2012

On Wed, 03. Oct 11:11, Baptiste Carvello wrote:
> 2) there are a few C++ applications which depend on cctbx, the one I
> know is FOX ( http://vincefn.net/Fox/ , objcryst-fox in Debian). For
> those use cases, should we still build a libcctbx-dev package with the
> headers and static libs (for those we don't need to care about ABI
> stability)?
I think this is a very important point here. Let's assume I want to extent the cctbx by
adding a module, for let's say absorbtion correction and I want to implement a
method called "multiscan" and I want to make a fast python boost extension to integrate
with my python code. I need some symbols from any of the shared libs in cctbx.
How could this be done in Debian or in any other distribution?

About the check for version:
In my patch I did this with SCons[1].
What this does is to compile and link a test program and check for success.
I saw in your code that you are doing similar things and we could write some
simple c++ program that for example includes boost/version and check some
"BOOST_VERSION"? This way it checks globally for the availability of
a shared library.

[1] http://www.scons.org/doc/2.0.1/HTML/scons-user/x4146.html