[cctbxbb] Module versioning (was Re: Debian Package)

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Mon Sep 3 13:14:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

> But indeed it mean, you need to care about the versionning of your public C API/ABI.

First it would be a C++ ABI in the cctbx case but, see my earlier email, we do not provide any shared library that is linkable by a generic C++ program. We only provide shared libraries that are to be loaded by the Python runtime. So those shared libraries are just Python module and their being written in C++ is an implementation detail. What matters is therefore only the Python API, in which I include the Python API exposed by our *.so, on the one hand and the C++ API on the other hand. But then each cctbx release contains a TAG file providing a version number the set of which is sortable, e.g. 2012_05_08_2305

Thus it seems to me that you only need to get that version number through to the Debian packaging system. And we are done with that.

Again, have I missed something?

Best wishes,

Luc