[cctbxbb] Flex array slice assignment work-alike

James Stroud xtald00d at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:20:18 PDT 2013

On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Richard Gildea wrote:
> When I implemented the multidimensional slicing for flex arrays, I only did so because I required that functionality in code I was developing, not for the fun or challenge of emulating numpy arrays.

That's a good reminder to go back to the original question: what is the work-alike for slice assignment? Is set_selection() the best alternative?

> I am unlikely to have time to add numpy-style assignment to slices in the near future, but if James, or indeed anyone else, requires and is willing to implement such behaviour, I'm sure Nat can grant you svn commit access in order to make the changes you require (providing that the changes play well with the rest of the cctbx code and Phenix, etc.).

I'm not sure I'd emulate numpy arrays in cctbx myself, as cool as they may be. It's usually better to try to find behavior that fits the rest of the library in "look and feel". However, if I had SVN commit privileges, I'd probably use them occasionally to fix problems I find or make enhancements that would aid my work.

James