[cctbxbb] Flex array slice assignment work-alike

Nicholas Sauter nksauter at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 12 08:55:13 PDT 2013

One other rule please,

6) Before committing code run libtbx.find_clutter and follow the output
instructions for adjusting whitespaces and imports to cctbx standards.

Nick

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Nathaniel Echols <nechols at lbl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM, James Stroud <xtald00d at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I'd emulate numpy arrays in cctbx myself, as cool as they
> may
> > be. It's usually better to try to find behavior that fits the rest of the
> > library in "look and feel". However, if I had SVN commit privileges, I'd
> > probably use them occasionally to fix problems I find or make
> enhancements
> > that would aid my work.
>
> If you want commit access, all I need is a SourceForge user ID.
> Basically the only rules are:
>
> 1) Make sure your code actually compiles (to .pyc or .o) on a
> supported platform (e.g. a recent Mac) before checking in.  (Sounds
> obvious, but people do forget sometimes.)
>
> 2) When changing existing functionality - even just bug fixes - always
> run the regression tests.
>
> [ Ignoring (1) or (2) can and will result in changes being reverted if
> we can't figure out how to fix it immediately. ]
>
> 3) If you add functionality, also add a regression test if you don't
> want someone else to break it later.
>
> 4) Tread lightly when introducing third-party dependencies (we do this
> all the time, of course, but we try to do so in a way that avoids
> breaking the library for people who don't have the same dependency
> installed).
>
> 5) When in doubt, post your diffs to the cctbxbb for feedback.
>
> There are other subtleties and complications that inevitably arise,
> but I'm a big fan of learning as you go, and I find long lists of
> rules inhibit my creativity.
>
> -Nat

Nicholas K. Sauter, Ph. D.
Computer Staff Scientist, Physical Biosciences Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Rd., Bldg. 64R0121
Berkeley, CA 94720-8118
(510) 486-5713