[cctbxbb] using scatterer flags?

Richard Gildea rgildea at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:58:47 PDT 2013

Are the same scatterers contributing to f_calc for every calculation, or
will the scatterers that are contributing vary from calculation to
calculation? In the case of the former it might be simplest to create a new
copy of the xray_structure with only those scatterers.

It looks the "use" flag isn't actually respected in the structure factor or
gradient calculations as far as I can tell. If you feel you need something
like this rather than creating new copies of the xray_structure with only
the scatterers you need or alternatively setting the occupancy to zero,
then this is probably something we can add into the code. There is some
code in cctbx/xray/scatterer_flags.h for flags_set_grad_*() that will set a
selection of gradients all at once in C++, but I don't see an equivalent
for set_use_*(). I suspect that the overhead of looping through the
scatterers to set flags in Python would be small compared to the cost of
calculating the structure factors in the first place.

Cheers,

Richard