[cctbxbb] First svn commit

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 17 23:02:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Richard Gildea <rgildea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I would prefer the function arguments to be spelled out explicitly
> without using *args and **kwds, so that I can figure out what arguments it
> takes without having to read through the function source code to figure out
> that internally you are calling self.as_miller_arrays(), and then have to go
> and look up the function arguments for that.

My preference is actually the opposite (I do the same thing quite a
bit in my code), because otherwise there is no guarantee that keyword
arguments added to add_miller_arrays will also be usable with
add_miller_arrays_map.  Using *args, **kwds makes the APIs explicitly
the same.  (That said, I'm increasing favoring using **kwds alone in
these circumstances.)

> My IDE (WingIDE) shows me the
> function signature in its source assistant and also provides code completion
> for function arguments and keywords. However these won't be of much use when
> functions only list *args and **kwds.

<insert generic snarky vi advocacy here>

-Nat