[cctbxbb] building cctbx with external boost

Justin Lecher j.lecher at fz-juelich.de
Tue Dec 17 23:36:51 PST 2013

On 18/12/13 01:58, Marcin Wojdyr wrote:
> Hi
>
> I vaguely remember a discussion some time ago about building cctbx
> with stand-alone boost libraries. Do you know what boost versions are
> compatible?
>
> Is using the --scan-boost option enough? I see that Gentoo has extra
> patch to unbundle boost from cctbx:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/cctbx/files/2010.03.29.2334-boost.patch
> Is it necessary?

Hi,

I am not sure how the latest state of the ebuild is but I pushed one for
a more recent version of cctbx to the ccp4-640 branch of the science
overlay on github [1]. That one included the massive effort of a debian
developer (I am really sorry I cannot remember the name) to have make
the build smoother for distribution maintainers.

> I'm asking because at this moment we have in CCP4 two versions of
> boost, one in cctbx and the other for building DSSP (it uses different
> subset of boost libs than cctbx). It would make sense to use a single
> version for both, if possible.

It makes no sense to have two version. Just fix the code in one of them.
Interestingly I can build cctbx and dssp with the same version of boost,
the system version.

Justin

1)
https://github.com/gentoo-science/sci/tree/ccp4-640