[cctbxbb] Build Notes for cctbx on OS X 10.7.5

James Stroud xtald00d at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 12:39:59 PDT 2013

Hi Richard,

I'm positive I did the most naïve thing (i.e. what a typical user would do) and

1. googled "cctbx"
2. clicked on the top hit (http://cctbx.sourceforge.net/)
3. clicked on downloads (http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/)
4. scrolled down to sources and clicked the first link
(http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/results/2012_05_08_2305/cctbx_python_273_bundle.selfx)

Note that the build tag (2012_05_08_2305) of the sources match the precompiled binaries. This tag also matches the most recent of the "Local build times" panel. I didn't notice the "Show unreleased builds" link, but I'm not sure it would have made much difference because it doesn't explain what those builds are.

A helpful addition to the download page might be conspicuous instructions for an svn/git/hg/etc checkout of the "latest-greatest" development tree, if the sources are preferable to the released builds. Many projects support that mechanism of distribution. For some projects, like git itself (http://git-scm.com/downloads), this is the recommended way of acquiring the sources. If the package needs to be bundled into an archive, maybe there should be a conspicuous "nightly build" link.

James