[cctbxbb] computing mean phase error between final refined model and experimental phases

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 2 12:06:08 PST 2014

Hi Blaine,

key functionality for this is the method of Miller array class called
mean_phase_error, see:

cctbx/miller/__init__.py .

Unit and regression tests are best usage examples most of the time. In
this case see:

cctbx/regression/tst_miller.py .

Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't have a good grasp of phase error value as a quality measure. For
example, I do not know what number is good, what is poor, etc. I think
to some extent what you are trying to do can be converted to Fourier map
comparison: just compute two maps, each one using identical amplitudes
and two different sets of phases, and then compare maps. To me at least
the map CC is a more telling metric.

However, map comparison is tricky too (usual map CC may be misleading!)
and you need to use proper metrics, as explained in details here:

Acta Cryst. (2014). D70, 2593-2606.
Metrics for comparison of crystallographic maps
A. Urzhumtsev, P. V. Afonine, V. Y. Lunin, T. C. Terwilliger and P. D. Adams

Pavel