[cctbxbb] Tests which randomly pass or fail (nag)

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 16 05:54:54 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:36 AM, <Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Quick nag if I may… if people have tests which employ random inputs
> (e.g. random unit cell, random amplitudes and phases) please could they set
> a seed or select from some seeds which should give random values which
> work, or fix their tests so that all random values work (ideally!)
>

> That way when tests fail people know something is wrong, rather than
> everything is fine but the random values drawn are troublesome…

Agreed.  We have a large set of tests in the separate phenix_regression
directory that are machine-specific but anything that's part of the CCTBX
repository needs to be portable.  (And ideally, this should include most of
the CCTBX-only tests.)  The test errors as of a couple of nights ago are
here:

http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/show_error_summary.cgi?build_tag=2014_09_14_2205

At least one of these appears to be systematic but there are several purely
numeric differences on specific platforms.

-Nat