[phenixbb] questions / TLS+NCS bug

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Dec 14 23:52:20 PST 2006

Hi Jianghai,

Thanks for the .log  file ! I looked at it and now I think I now what's
the problem: this is the bug in phenix.refine that we will fix for the
next release. The bug arises when you try to refine using TLS and NCS at
once. Sorry for this.

The possible solution is to split your refinement into 2 parts:
1) First, refine coordinates and isotropic B-factors. Use NCS
restraints. DO NOT refine TLS.
2) At the end, as the final tune up, refine ONLY isotropic B-factors +
TLS and do not refine coordinates. For this run, please REMOVE all NCS
information (NCS selections) from the command file. This refinement run
should be the final one.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience. This will be fixed in the next
release of CCI APPS and PHENIX. Once this fixed, you will be able to run
everything in "one go" and in any combination.

Please let me know if what I suggested helped you. Any further questions
are welcome!

Cheers,
Pavel.