[phenixbb] Phaser

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 05:27:36 PDT 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007, john kryst wrote:
> Hi all !!!
>
>        Is it possible to fix one domain and search for the second one in
> phaser !!!  What are the keywords to use for that.
> I have a protein with two domains. It i give both the domains together it
> is not finding the solution. If i give only one domain it is giving the
> solution and the R and Rfee is 28 and 33. But it is not finding the second
> one.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions..
>
> regards
> John

Hi John,

In the Phenix AutoMR wizard, we haven't yet implemented a way to search for
one component of a structure in one job, then to fix it and search for
another component in a subsequent job.  Most of the time, if you can solve
such a structure with Phaser, it can be solved by looking for all components
in the same job, so that's the approach that the wizard concentrates on.

I'm pretty sure this could be done by using the Tasks interfaces in Phenix,
where there are Phaser tasks for individual steps in the pathway.  But at the
moment, if you want to do something unusual, it's easier to do it either in
shell scripts with the command-line interface or from the ccp4i GUI in CCP4.
I think you've had suggestions on how to do that, from your similar query on
the ccp4-bb.  There are also example scripts on our web page at
http://www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk/phaser/tutorial/keyword_tutorial.html.
These apply to version 1.3, but I don't think any of the minor changes in the
syntax for version 2.0 and 2.1 will break them.

What is the relative size of the two domains?  The R and R-free values imply
that the single domain explains the data pretty well on its own.  So I would
guess that the second one must either be very small, or it's badly disordered
in your crystal.

--

Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Hills Road                                    E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk