[phenixbb] SAD + MR

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 14:18:32 PDT 2007

Dear Lucas,

You'll need Phaser version 2.1, which will be in the next developer release
of Phenix-1.3b. This has a new feature that exactly addresses your problem.
You can start the SAD phasing using the molecular replacement model as an
initial "substructure". Then log-likelihood-gradient maps are used to add
in the anomalous scatterers. We've found that the resulting anomalous
scatterer model is usually more accurate and, perhaps more importantly, is
more complete. Often the S atoms can be found, even when the wavelength is
not optimal for S-SAD. The map that comes out of this phasing process
automatically combines the molecular replacement and anomalous scattering
information, properly weighted and with a correction for model bias.

I'm in Grenoble right now at a phasing workshop, but when I get back I
should be able to send you a statically-linked Linux executable of the
beta-test version of Phaser-2.1.

Randy Read