[phenixbb] Using Phenix to calculate Atom Maps

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sun May 13 23:46:17 PDT 2007

Hi James,

there are some ways of doing this:

1) One can calculate it from the atomic model using the standard
formulas rho(r)=... . This option is currently not available.

2) One can get (Fcalc, phi_calc) to certain resolution and completeness
first and then do the Fourier transformation. In this case you will get
a Fourier image of the "true" electron density (for example, calculated
in "1)") at given resolution and completeness. Obviously, as higher
resolution and completeness, as closer this Fourier image to the "true"
density.
This is possible to do with phenix.refine and the following command will
do this:

% phenix.refine model.pdb data.mtz main.number_of_macro_cycles=0
electron_density_map.map_types="k*Fobs-n*Fmodel"
electron_density_map.k=0 electron_density_map.n=-1
main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false

In the example above you basically load the model and data into
phenix.refine and ask it to do nothing (main.number_of_macro_cycles=0)
but calculate the k*Fobs-n*Fmodel map with the coefficients k=0 and
n=-1. Here Fmodel is just Fcalc from atomic model and does not include
any bulk solvent contribution or other scales (we turned it off with
main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false).

Please note that the Fourier image calculated in this example will be
based on the resolution and completeness of provided Fobs (data.mtz)
(will be not exactly what one can get with formulas rho(r)=...).

I realize that "2)" is not the best way of doing this but is rather a
work-around. In future I plan to provide a specific option to do what
you are asking for: calculate the electron density from atomic model;
this is in my to-do list. I will also add the example above to
phenix.refine Manual for the future references.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Pavel.