[phenixbb] probable RTFM question

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu May 17 12:27:42 PDT 2007

Hi Bill,

it is possible to do but not as straightforward as
phenix.geometry_minimization.  Example:

% phenix.refine model.pdb data.mtz strategy=individual_sites
main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false simulated_annealing=true wxc_scale=0
--overwrite simulated_annealing.mode=every_macro_cycle

Basically we ask phenix.refine to refine individual coordinates
(strategy=individual_sites), turn off bulk solvent and scaling
(main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false), tell that we want to do SA
(simulated_annealing=true), turn off X-ray contribution (wxc_scale=0)
and finally ask to do SA every macro-cycle
(simulated_annealing.mode=every_macro_cycle; 3 by default).

This is inefficient (because phenix.refine still calculate all x-ray
targets but not uses them) but currently the only way.

I used this a lot for generating ensembles of models starting from
different random seed. Please note that you may want to play with the
starting temperature.

I will add this example to the Manual and I will think about adding
something like phenix.model_anneal in future.