[phenixbb] unintellible font

Paul Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Sun Sep 30 06:58:56 PDT 2007

Hi Mike,

   before you source any information to do with PHENIX is you
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to anything?

   One thing you could try, is to rerun the installer (you don't need
to remove the installation, just go to the installer directory and
execute the ./install command again). But first set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to something like:

   setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

   Cheers,
	Paul

On Sep 28, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Michael Sawaya wrote:

> Dear Phenixbb,
>
> My recent installation of Phenix completed successfully,
> but the font in the Phenix graphics window is
> replaced by little rectangles.   So, I cannot read any of the menus.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>
> I just installed phenix-1.3b-d7-intel-linux-2.6 on our
> Linux machine 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 i686
>
> During installation, the following warning is reported :
>> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
>> script value 56
>> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
>> script value 63
>> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
>> script value 64
>> updating fonts/local.conf file
>> running mkfontdir
>> rebuilding font cache
>> fc-cache: symbol lookup error: fc-cache: undefined symbol:
>> FcConfigNormalizeFontDir
>>
>> generating index.theme file
>
> And I also get the following message when executing phenix
>
>>         Shell variable RSH_PATH not set
>> Error reading Pango modules file
>>
>> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font,
>> expect ugly output
>> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called
>> with null font argument, expect ugly output
>> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with
>> null font argument, expect ugly output
>> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called
>> with bad font, expect ugly output
>>
> Thank you for any help you can give.
>

> Mike Sawaya

Paul Adams
Senior Scientist, Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Deputy Principal Investigator, Berkeley Structural Genomics Center

Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 510-486-4225, Fax: 510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory