[phenixbb] input initial TLS parameters

Paul Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Sun Feb 24 12:31:27 PST 2008

Hi Mark,

   if I understand Pavel correctly I think he is saying that TLSmd can
provide both group definitions and initial values for the TLS
parameters. In phenix.refine the only information that is required is
the group definitions - the values for the TLS parameters will be
refined using a procedure that discards any of the input values anyway.
This is one of the things that has been done to make the procedure more
stable. The TLS parameter values from TLSmd are, in many cases, probably
good estimates for the true parameters, but they would need to be
refined anyway.

   Cheers,
	Paul

Mayer, Mark (NIH/NICHD) [E] wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> I thought one of the main advantages for using the TLSmd server
> was that it provided the crystallographer with suggestions
> for the TLS staring groups (as well as the TLS values for
> these groups) avoiding the need to make somewhat arbitrary
> choices about the TLS group boundaries.
>
> If phenix then refines the TLS values for the groups picked
> with help pf the TLSmd server analysis which is this less
> good that starting TLS refinement in phenix without input
> from the MD server?

Paul Adams
Deputy Division Director, Physical Biosciences Division, LBL
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Vice President for Technology, the Joint BioEnergy Institute
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology

Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 510-486-4225, Fax: 510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory