[phenixbb] modify_start_model.adp.set_b_iso doesn't seem to work on PDB files with ANISOU cards

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 21 14:09:46 PST 2008

Hi Stephen,

what you are seeing is actually a feature. If you have a PDB file with a
mixture of isotropic and anisotropic B-factors and you use a command
"modify_start_model.adp.set_b_iso=60" the program sets all isotropic
B-factors to 60 and leaves anisotropic ones unchanged (this is what the
command name suggest: set_b_iso).

The easiest way to do what you want is to use phenix.pdbtools -- it is
very powerful tool for PDB file manipulations:

1) First, convert all atoms to isotropic:
phenix.pdbtools model.pdb convert_to_isotropic=True
output.pdb.file_name=model_iso.pdb

2) Then set all isotropic b to a desired value:
phenix.pdbtools model.pdb adp.set_b_iso=60
output.pdb.file_name=model_iso_60.pdb

You can do these manipulations with the whole PDB file content or its
any selected part.

I think in future we can change the behaviour of "convert_to_isotropic"
so if you say "convert_to_isotropic=True", then it just converts all
anisotropic B-factors to isotropic and if you say
"convert_to_isotropic=60", then it set all b to 60 regardless anything.
Something like this. Please let me know if you have a better idea.

For more information on phenix.pdbtools:
http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/pdbtools.htm

Cheers,
Pavel.