[phenixbb] PHENIX on OS X Intel 10.5 "need access to screen" error

Paul Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 30 19:56:51 PDT 2008

Hi Ben,

   I don't have an explanation for this, other than the version we
distribute always goes in /usr/local which is usually locally mounted
so nfs related problems wouldn't show up. It also seems very odd that
this happens only on the Intel systems.

   Is the NFS volume mounted read-only or could there be permissions
somehow associated with the mount? I remember that we did have an
issue at some point to do with the way that drives were mounted on
OSX but the details escape me.

   Cheers,
	Paul

On Jun 30, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I have PHENIX 1.3-rc2 built on an OS X Intel 10.4 machine.  It runs
> fine
> there, but using the same installation mounted via NFS, I get this
> error:
>
> This program needs access to the screen.
> Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
> in on the main display of your Mac.
>
> I dug around in the program a bit to see if there was a script testing
> for the DISPLAY setting, but this seems to be generated in the wx-
> python
> bits:
>
> build/mac-intel-osx/base/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
> python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-ansi/wx/_core.py
>
> contains the error message, as do a couple of other files in the /wx/
> hierarchy.
>
> The PHENIX 1.3-rc2 I built on OS X 10.4 PPC works fine on the 10.5 PPC
> machines, so I'm a bit surprised it's failing on the Intel side.
>
> Does anyone know if a PHENIX built on 10.5 will work on a 10.4
> machine?
> If it was really necessary, I could install versions built on both
> 10.4
> and 10.5, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.
>
> Any insight on fixing this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -ben
>
> --
> Ben Eisenbraun
> Structural Biology Grid                           Harvard Medical
> School
> http://sbgrid.org                                 http://
> hms.harvard.edu

Paul Adams
Deputy Division Director, Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence
Berkeley Lab
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Vice President for Technology, the Joint BioEnergy Institute
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology

Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 510-486-4225, Fax: 510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory