[phenixbb] B factor

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat May 10 23:03:02 PDT 2008

Hi Jianghai,

> If I compare the isotropic equivalent B-factor
> after TLS refinement to the isotropic B-factor without TLS refinement,
> will they have the same trend?

yes, only if:
1) the choice of TLS groups is correct;
2) the restraints on isotropic individual B-factors are not too tight.

> I want to use the B-factor
> distribution to describe the ordered and disordered region in the
> structure, will the TLS refinement skew that?

I'm not sure what exactly you want to do here. But anyway, by using TLS
model you better describe atomic ADP: TLS models global domain motion
and individual B-factors model local atomic vibrations; that is each
kind of motion receives dedicated parameterization (which is good).
However, if you model everything with individual B-factors (no TLS) the
similarity restraints are always used and they tend to remove TLS
contribution making final B-factors less adequate.