[phenixbb] problem with high Rfree

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon May 19 23:51:42 PDT 2008

Hi Christina,

I usually observe similar R/Rfree behavior when I use LS target instead
of maximum-likelihood. In fact, twin refinement in phenix.refine is
based on LS target function. This is just to share my observations; it's
not necessarily happening in your case.

- How many of test reflections you have and how they are distributed in
resolution bins?
- Just out of curiosity: did you try to ignore twinning and run
refinement with default target?
- What if you don't run SA?
- Did you try to play with target weights (try different values for
wxc_scale and wxu_scale) to see how this affect the R-factors?
- Are you using the latest (or one of) phenix.refine?
- Did you try to fill in water?

Could you send a log file: may be we could spot something outstanding...

Pavel.