[phenixbb] R/Rfree from phenix.autobuild

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Nov 27 09:53:51 PST 2008

Hi Graeme,

the difference between Rwork and Rfree depends on resolution. Here is
some R-factor statistics for all PDB structures refined at resolution
range between 1.55A and 1.65A:

Distribution of R-work at resolution 1.55-1.65
 Resolution range  Number of structures
  9.90 -  11.86:     6
 11.86 -  13.82:    28
 13.82 -  15.78:   185
 15.78 -  17.74:   415
 17.74 -  19.70:   562
 19.70 -  21.66:   358
 21.66 -  23.62:   144
 23.62 -  25.58:    27
 25.58 -  27.54:     8
 27.54 -  29.50:     2

Distribution of R-free 1.55-1.65
 Resolution range  Number of structures
 14.00 -  15.93:    11
 15.93 -  17.86:    73
 17.86 -  19.79:   293
 19.79 -  21.72:   490
 21.72 -  23.65:   458
 23.65 -  25.58:   244
 25.58 -  27.51:   110
 27.51 -  29.44:    39
 29.44 -  31.37:    11
 31.37 -  33.30:     6

Distribution of R-work-Rfree 1.55-1.65
 Resolution range  Number of structures
  0.10 -   1.23:    69
  1.23 -   2.36:   426
  2.36 -   3.49:   562
  3.49 -   4.62:   401
  4.62 -   5.75:   163
  5.75 -   6.88:    67
  6.88 -   8.01:    31
  8.01 -   9.14:    11
  9.14 -  10.27:     3
 10.27 -  11.40:     2

1% difference in your case is suspiciously small indeed. Although
Autobuld combines model building with refinement using phenix.refine,
its main purpose to build the structure and not produce the best refined
possible one. After Autobuld you may want to do some more refinement
customized to your particular case (resolution, etc...). At 1.6A you may
want to try:

- refining anisotropic ADP;
- if refinement of anisotropic ADP is prohibitive (Rfree and Rfree-Rwork
go too high), try TLS instead;
- simply do more refinement macro-cycles to achieve full convergence (by
default phenix.refine does 3 macro-cycles), say try 5, for example;
- optimize weights using automatic options (use "optimize_wxc=true
optimize_wxu=true" - this may take a while to finish), or try a few
different values manually (wxc_scale=..., wxu_scale=...).

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Pavel.