[phenixbb] Twin refinement issues?

Phil Jeffrey pjeffrey at Princeton.EDU
Fri Apr 10 07:30:16 PDT 2009

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

So not a bug, just a Really Undesirable Feature.

I'm familiar with point group 32 and actually ran the program with both
indexings, which unexpectedly came up with roughly the same R-free
(irony: the incorrect indexing was marginally better).  Mea culpa for
not using my standard m.o. of comparing datasets using CCP4's SCALEIT.

The reasons I consider this behavior to be a bad thing are:

1.  Twin fractions > 0.5 are not physically reasonable and I would
expect default behavior should be to clamp them to the range 0.-0.5.
(caveat: I'm not sure what CNS or REFMAC do).

2.  I have mixed feelings about "stealth reindexings", especially since
I didn't set refinement.second_guess=True  (see below)

3.  The stealth reindexing behavior is inconsistent across refinement
without twinning set (no stealth indexing) and when it is set, for
exactly the same mtz and pdb files.

Auto-reindexing might be a time-saving feature (especially in point
group 3) but should be consistent w/ and w/o twinning enabled and needs
to be much more prominently advertised in the output, and a new MTZ file
written.

Aside: this structure was the result of a MAD dataset at 3.5 Angstrom
with a lower twin fraction (~0.2) so of course the relative indexing
problem comes into play when I switched datasets.  In the case of the
MAD dataset SHARP made a radical difference in phase quality compared to
  the uninterpretable map straight out of SHELX - perhaps the largest
improvement I have ever seen.

Cheers
Phil Jeffrey