[phenixbb] refinement

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Thu Dec 10 08:24:02 PST 2009

I find (for RNA at least ) that 10-100 times less the current value
( I think it's 0.01) for wxc_scale to keep rigid geometry.

FR

On Dec 10, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Pei-Chun Lin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When talking about "put much more weight on geometry restraints to
> avoid overfitting", what wxc and wxu value will you suggest to use
> for a 4A structure?
> I am working on a 3.5A structure and have no experience of adjusting
> weight value before. Any suggestion will be very helpful to me.
>

> PC
>

> Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:12:29 -0800
> From: PAfonine at lbl.gov
> To: phenixbb at phenix-online.org
> Subject: Re: [phenixbb] refinement
>
> Hi,
>
> although I've seen cases like yours when SA in Cartesian space did
> miracles, in many of cases modeling at 4A resolution is a tough
> problem.
>
> Since clearly SA didn't work out (given R/Rfree ~ 37/50% and the
> starting 48/50), I would try splitting your model into rigid domains
> and refine each as a rigid body. Plus, I would refine one isotropic
> B per residue or per domain (try both). This is a few minutes to try
> so why don't you do so.
> Also, I would still combine it (rigid body and B-factor refinement)
> with Cartesian SA, but I would put much more weight on geometry
> restraints to avoid overfitting.
>
> As you probably aware of, in phenix.refine you can run combined
> refinement jobs, for example, consisting of SA, rigid body, B-factor
> refinement and so on. So I would recommend playing with the above
> suggestions to see if it works. Plus, don't forget looking at the
> maps - may be you manage to fit something manually.
>
> By the way, which R-factors you get if you run:
>
> phenix.model_vs_data data.mtz model.pdb
>
> (phenix.model_vs_data will account for twinning (if any) using
> Xtriage automatically) ?
>
> Write us if you have questions.
>
> Good luck,
> Pavel.
>

> On 12/8/09 7:02 PM, r n wrote:
> Thanks a lot. I did download the new -dev249 and did cartesian SA, R
> goes down to 37 but R-free (50) did not.
> Any suggestions?

Francis Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 67BA8D5D

8AE2 F2F4 90F7 9640 28BC  686F 78FD 6669 67BA 8D5D