[phenixbb] ncs resolve

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 18 20:34:19 PST 2009

Hi Georg,

I think that if phenix.find_ncs says

No NCS found...you might try ncs_in_type=sites

then it is interpreting the sites as parts of chains and is trying to find
NCS in those chains, while what you want is for it to interpret these as
sites and to find ncs in the sites.  So I wonder if you did try adding the
keyword ncs_in_type as in:

phenix.find_ncs my_sites.pdb my_map_coeffs.mtz ncs_in_type=sites

If that failed, then I would suggest trying fewer sites that are more
separated: perhaps 3 or 4 sites per monomer, as far apart as possible.

If that fails (or maybe as your first try actually), take the entire
helix, and make 2 copies A and B, placing them in their appropriate
places, and then feed these to phenix with:

phenix.simple_ncs_from_pdb my_two_copies.pdb

and that may do it for you.

All the best,
Tom T