[phenixbb] phaser MR

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jul 24 06:33:08 PDT 2009

Shya,

Did phaser complain that the asymmetric unit was too full?  How do the
self rotation maps look? Are the crystallographic peaks exact or off
by a few degrees (your resolution data may make it difficult to see
this)? How do the N(z) cumulative intensity distributions look (make
sure to calculate this with thin resolution bins, i.e. increase BINS
in Scala I think)? Does your data look sigmoidal on this plot?

Perfect twinning or an NCS that's close to a crystallographic axis is
difficult to diagnose from merged intensity statistics and even more
difficult with resolution worse than 2.5. I recommend Dauter Acta
Cryst (2003) D59 2004-2016 for a good discussion of this.

Your space group might be too high. See the subgroups of P422 at http://cci.lbl.gov/~phzwart/p422_2.png
. Reintegrate and merge the data in each space group, MR a single copy
of your model  (let phaser complete the ASU) and compare the Rpim's
(from scaling/merging) and the Rwork/Rfree from a rigid body refine
without NCS, with NCS, with appropriate twin laws, and with twin laws
+ NCS. No need to do a full refinement just yet.  Allow phenix.refine
to create the Rfree flags. Choose the space group which gives the best
statistics.

I recently had a case (Hardin, Reyes, Batey J. Biol. Chem., Vol. 284,
Issue 22, 15317-15324, May 29, 2009) of a protein that merged into
P422 but was difficult to refine in that space group. I brought it
back to P4 and refined with NCS+twin to give more reasonable Rwork/
Rfree (5-7% difference from the P422 to P4).

HTH,

FR