[phenixbb] Water/residue alternative conformations

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 8 11:48:06 PDT 2009

Hi Roeland,

if you have a triple conformation A, B and C, then their occupancies
should be qA+qB+qC=1. Now if you get a water that is coupled with altloc
C, then qHOH+qC=1.
Currently you cannot do it in phenix.refine, sorry. In fact, you can
make it running, but currently I think it will do something  different
from what one would expect. Say you have this artificial molecule in PDB
file, that mimics your case:

ATOM      1  O  AHOH H   1       8.767   5.853   7.671  0.30
10.00           O
ATOM      2  O  BHOH H   1       7.767   7.853   7.671  0.50
12.00           O
ATOM      3  O  CHOH H   1       7.767   5.853   5.671  0.20
19.00           O
ATOM      4  K       H   2       7.000   5.000   7.671  0.80
25.00           K

then what you want to do is defined by the following selections:

refinement {
  refine {
    occupancies {
      constrained_group {
        selection = resseq 1 and altloc A
        selection = resseq 1 and altloc B
        selection = resseq 1 and altloc C
      }
      constrained_group {
        selection = resseq 1 and altloc C
        selection = resseq 2
      }
    }
  }
}

Unfortunately, for the moment the automatic procedure outsmarts itself
and automatically removes "altloc C" selection from the first group
since it is present in the second group, and therefore the algorithm
"thinks" it is a duplicate unwanted selection. I will fix it once I get
a chance (it is not an easy-fix).

However, with some manual work you can approximate what you want to do.
Refine that triple conformation as it refines by default in
phenix.refine and keep occupancy of water (the one that is coupled with
C, qHOH) fixed to some value. Then re-set qHOH = 1-qC and repeat
refinement again (do not refine qHOH, keep it fixed). Since by default
phenix.refine will refine partial occupancies, make sure you use
"remove_selection=resname HOH and resseq 1033" to not refine qHOH but
keep it at preset value.