[phenixbb] phasine error

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 11 10:36:25 PDT 2009

Hi Nat,

it is all published. Below are the papers that I used in phenix.refine
to code maximum-likelihood target, phase and coordinate errors
estimates. The complete list of relevant papers will include those by
Randy Read, G. Bricogne, and others.

Alpha/Beta and phase error estimation algorithms, ML target formula:
V.Yu., Lunin & T.P., Skovoroda. Acta Cryst. (1995). A51, 880-887.
"R-free likelihood-based estimates of errors for phases calculated from
atomic models"

Formula for coordinate error estimation:
V.Y., Lunin, P.V. Afonine & A.G., Urzhumtsev. Acta Cryst. (2002). A58,
270-282. "Likelihood-based refinement. I. Irremovable model errors"

P. Afonine, V.Y. Lunin & A. Urzhumtsev. J. Appl. Cryst. (2003). 36,
158-159. "MLMF: least-squares approximation of likelihood-based
refinement criteria"

Paper suggesting to use TEST reflections in Alpha/Beta estimation:
A.G. Urzhumtsev, T.P. Skovoroda & V.Y. Lunin. J. Appl. Cryst. (1996).
29, 741-744. "A procedure compatible with X-PLOR for the calculation of
electron-density maps weighted using an R-free-likelihood approach"

> they will influence the
> final phases calculated in phenix.refine, but those will still be
> biased towards the refined model.

No, because the estimates are done using TEST reflections that are not
supoosed to be used in any step of structure solution and refinement.

Pavel.