[phenixbb] Restraints on water molecules

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Sun Mar 8 18:42:16 PDT 2009

Hi Engin,

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Water molecules are treated slightly different in phenix.refine than the
other atoms. For example, you cannot preserve a specific water molecule:
it it falls outside a selection criterion (distances, peak heights,
etc...), than it will be removed anyway.

The only way to preserve your favorite waters is:

- either turn water picking off: ordered_solvent=false
- or do what you did: rename it somehow so phenix.refine "don't think"
that it is water.

None of the above options sound attractive to me but this is how it is
right now.

There are pros and cons for this approach and there was a discussion
about it a few months ago. In the end I agreed that we need an option to
preserve "user's favorite" waters.  It is in my list, implementing it
may take some time - it's not very straightforward. In general, the
whole water picking procedure in phenix.refine needs some review (for
example, use map CC as additional criterion, etc...). Although I still
don't like the idea for fixing waters: what if the user fixes a water
that later on in refinement proves to be noise peak and so its B-factor
jumps sky high, it moves somewhere, etc, but phenix.refine will not be
able to remove it since the user ordered to not do so... Could you
rather play with selection criteria so your waters stay?

Pavel.