[phenixbb] refinement with a covalent inhibitor.

Nigel W Moriarty NWMoriarty at lbl.gov
Tue Mar 17 15:37:22 PDT 2009

Maia

Yes, please do download the latest PHENIX version and run ReadySet!
again.  To ensure that the ASG-GCU complex is handled correctly, you
should put in the CONECT records into the PDB file that link the two
"residues" in your ligand complex together.  This is a rather complex
example and I'd be interested in seeing your PDB file.

Nigel

On 3/17/09 3:10 PM, Maia Cherney wrote:
> Thank you Nigel,
> However, your cif file did not help with the problem (carboxylate is not
> planar) when using the PHENIX 1.4-3 version that we have now. You
> mentioned 2 newer versions of phenix, 1.4-4 and 1.4-6. Do I need to get
> them both? By the way, phenix.ready_set (in our current version) screwed
> up all hydrogens in my other ligand (trimer of ASG-GCU).  I think that
> the ready.set needs to know that the monomers are linked.  With this
> particular ligand that is a hexamer, ASG is in the library, but GCU is
> not. Should I give a cif_link file for the ready.set, too? After I get a
> newer version of phenix, I 'll try it again.
> Maia
>

> Nigel W Moriarty wrote:
>
>> Maia
>>
>> Using PHENIX 1.4-4 and 1.4-6, eLBOW generates a CIF with 4 planar
>> groups including the carboxyl group missing from the earlier PHENIX
>> version I believe you used.  I have attached it.  There are a few
>> other things I should mention.
>>
>> I used a tool called ReadySet!
>>
>> phenix.ready_set model.pdb
>>
>> which will generate (using eLBOW) CIF files for all the ligands in the
>> model using the data from the Chemical Components database from the
>> PDB.  I would recommend that you use ReadySet! for preparing a PDB
>> file for refinement.  It also adds hydrogens to your model which is
>> usually a good thing.
>>
>> Your example does have some nuances.  You mention that it is
>> covalently bound to the CYS.  I have attached the two additional files
>> needed to inform phenix.refine of the covalent bond.  I used eLBOW
>> directly for this but will ensure that ReadySet! will do the same
>> function in the next release.
>>
>> An additional function that I have been working on recently is the
>> removal of the hydrogen in a carboxyl group when the ligand is in the
>> model.  I shall have that in the next PHENIX release.
>>
>> Finally, I did a refinement using dummy reflection data and the
>> carboxyl group remained planar.
>>
>> If you have any problems with any of the files, feel free to contact
>> me directly.
>>
>> Nigel

Nigel W. Moriarty
Building 64R0246B, Physical Biosciences Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Berkeley, CA 94720-8235
Phone : 510-486-5709
Fax   : 510-486-5909