[phenixbb] Missing plotting libraries

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Mon May 4 10:40:30 PDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Leigh Allen wrote:
> ERROR:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package lapack3
>
> Thanks for your help.  I've tried installing lapack and/or lapack3
> through apt-get and synaptic... and I can't find it.  I'll continue
> looking and potentially ask the Ubuntu people since this is not a
> Phenix problem.

Well, we try to distribute packages that will work without any extra
tinkering or compilation. . . which is sometimes difficult on Linux,
but the lapack3 error should be avoidable (we don't actually need to
link to it, it's just difficult to disable this behavior if it's
present on the build system).

To access lapack3 in Ubuntu, you need to have enabled the "universe"
repositories.  I think I did this manually by editing /etc/apt/
sources.list, but in Synaptic, you can do it via the menu item
Settings-->Repositories.  Searching for "lapack" then finds it - it
will probably also come up with the BLAS libraries, which I recommend
installing just to be safe.

-Nat

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab