[phenixbb] Selection of R-free set for twin refinement

Boaz Shaanan bshaanan at bgu.ac.il
Wed May 6 06:52:24 PDT 2009

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the Phenix manual suggests two options for selecting the R-free set for twin refinement. One is to do this using the phenix.reflection_file_converter with the parameter
--use-lattice-symmetry-in-r-free-flag-generationwhich I suppose does not require input of the twin law. The second is in the actual refinement using the parameter

xray_data.r_free_flags.generate=True

in which case the twin law is part of the input. My first question is whether the two options
are truly equivalent. The second question is whether one can go into either of them with an mtz file
in which R-free set reflections have already been selected (e.g. in scala or XDS) without
any twinning assumption, or should one use a file without any R-free set altogether and let the
phenix script choose it from scratch, under the twinning assumption.

Another (related) question is whether simulated annealing is possible in conjunction with
twin refinement.

    Thanks,

               Boaz