[phenixbb] Refining f'/f"?

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Thu May 7 12:52:11 PDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Leigh Allen wrote:
> I collected at 1.0809A, which was the optimal wavelength for the
> beam at NSLS-X29.  I will model them as MSEs.  I guess the better
> question to ask is if I should be concerned with not having these
> negative peaks.  Will it negatively affect my R-work/R-free if I
> continue to work with the data that's not been scaled to keep F+/F-
> separate?

At that wavelength f' is approximately -2 and f'' is 0.6, which are
much less than at the Se K edge:

http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu/scatter/data/Se.dat

I would expect R/Rfree to improve slightly if you refine against F+/
F-, but if you do this and still see negative peaks, I wouldn't worry
about them.  (Note: you still need to scale your data, just don't
average F+/F- - in HKL2000 clicking the "Anomalous" box in the scaling
window is sufficient.)

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
510-486-5136