[phenixbb] --unused_ok, .def, documentation,...

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Fri May 8 08:47:21 PDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

in fact probably I should be beaten for this idea. We discussed this, me
and Ralf, a few weeks ago and came to the idea of retiring this option.
Here is why.

I keep seeing people having trouble refining their structures in
phenix.refine just because they were using "--unused-ok" option.

A typical example: someone turns on TLS refinement in his/her old
parameter file using "refine_tls=true". Of course running this file with
a new version of phenix.refine will stop the program suggesting
"--unused-ok" as a way to keep going. Then that person realizes how cool
and easy the fix is, hardwires "--unused-ok" in his/her scripts and
permanently forgets about it. Finally, I got complaints that
phenix.refine didn't do TLS refinement although it was asked for.
Hopefully, I now check for this trap first of all, but in the past it
was a number of times when I had to spend a good part of the day
"debugging" it: - a few emails to convince a user send in the data, -
then finding the problem, - then writing a long email back explaining
the pros-and-cons of using "--unused-ok". It is no problem to do a few
times, but since it happens regularly it becomes a time sink.

And I'm wondering how many people have fallen into this trap even
without knowing it? Ok, some of them, curious ones, may compare the
R-factors between phenix.refine and say Refmac, find that Refmac's
values are better, and silently switch to the program giving better
values. Or worse, keep going doing poor refinement job.

Finally, I don't understand what the trouble is to run this command:

phenix.refine --diff-params your_old_parameters.def >
your_new_parameters.def

and then have a quick look at your_new_parameters.def to avoid future
surprises? If some people like to create andkeep around myriades of
scripts I think it's a good idea to make sure they are not full of
hidden bugs and traps, that God knows when they will back fire your.

Oops, I already spent 10 minutes for writing this (writing takes longer
for non-native speakers/writers), instead of implementing dual-space
refinement -:)

Pavel.