[phenixbb] ncs restraint

Engin Ozkan eozkan at stanford.edu
Mon May 25 16:26:41 PDT 2009

Hi Pavel,

It is very rarely sensible to disagree with automation, definitely in
this case.  My problem was that the automated NCS was including bits
that were clearly violators of NCS (This was with 1.3 final release).  I
will be looking forward to any improvements in this respect. Here are a
couple questions/suggestions:

1.  Does automated NCS picking only work based on the input pdb? Should
it not consider electron density maps as well for true automation (which
may not be easy to implement)? Otherwise, regions that should eventually
be excluded from NCS will be initially restrained, and stay that way
cycle after cycle by the automated NCS picking, until some person
intervenes and remodels the pdb.  Automated analysis of model and
electron density for violations of NCS would be a god-send for those
large structures with many, many (> 10) NCS chains.  (How about a
phenix.analyse_complex_ncs instead of phenix.simple_ncs_from_pdb :))

2.  Any automation on restraint weights (possibly based on Rfree
behaviour, or something even more complicated)? That would be nice. And
definitely not excluding NCS restraints on ADPs (It seems to me
commonplace to have one or more NCS related groups to be more
"flexible", more "fuzzy".  It helps to relax NCS-ADP restraints on those
chains).

Thanks,

Engin