[phenixbb] regarding ncs distance

sbiswas2 at ncsu.edu sbiswas2 at ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 18 11:07:37 PST 2009

Hi Pavel,

Whenever I run ncs using the default parameters I get the following:
  The current limit is:
    refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=1.5
  The number of distances exceeding this limit is: 364
  Please correct your model or redefine the limit, e.g. with:
    refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=3
  To disable this message completely define:
    refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=None

It runs fine when you put refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=None in
the command line. My question is what would be the best distance for the
program to run without this message.
thanks,
Shya

> [...]
>> output.prefix=nov17-opt
>> REMARK Start: r_work = 0.2803 r_free = 0.3036 bonds = 0.012 angles =
>> 1.488
>> REMARK Final: r_work = 0.2143 r_free = 0.2961 bonds = 0.032 angles =
>> 3.281
>> b_ave=64.71
>>
>> phenix.reduce may21_pdbset.pdb > may21_pdbset_h_added.pdb
>>
>> run3.  with hydrogen
>> phenix.refine 1205A-p21212.mtz nov138_001_h_added.pdb ncs_groups.params
>> main.ncs=true ncs.find_automatically=false
>> refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=None
>> xray_data.high_resolution=2.9 refinement.main.number_of_macro_cycles=5
>> output.write_maps=true output.prefix=nov17-wh
>> REMARK Start: r_work = 0.2860 r_free = 0.3123 bonds = 0.085 angles =
>> 1.672
>> REMARK Final: r_work = 0.2381 r_free = 0.3029 bonds = 0.017 angles =
>> 1.685
>> b_ave=77.7
>>
>> run4. with both hydrogen and optimization
>> phenix.refine 1205A-p21212.mtz nov138_001_h_added.pdb ncs_groups.params
>> main.ncs=true ncs.find_automatically=false
>> refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=None
>> xray_data.high_resolution=2.9 refinement.main.number_of_macro_cycles=5
>> optimize_wxc=true optimize_wxu=true output.write_maps=true
>> output.prefix=nov17-wh-opt
>> REMARK Start: r_work = 0.2860 r_free = 0.3123 bonds = 0.085 angles =
>> 1.672
>> REMARK Final: r_work = 0.2447 r_free = 0.3032 bonds = 0.020 angles =
>> 1.922
>> b_ave=80.75
>>
>> It looks output from run1 is the best, adding hydrogen and optimizing
>> wxc and wxu did not help much.
>> I have had little better Rfree and rmsd at the end of my last run.
>>

>> You are right. the commands I used at the last stage looks weird. Before
>> that run I have used
>> "strategy=rigid_body+individual_sites+group_adp+tls" and also included
>> bulk_solvent and scaling. The map is pretty good. But, the number of
>> reflections used in the refinement was more than that in mtz file and
>> that was the warning in the pdb validation summary letter. I think
>> that's because default extension of high resolution range in PHENIX. So,
>> I needed to run 1 macro cycle with a little lower high resolution 2.9A
>> with the last refined pdb. I found those are the combination of commands
>> gives the best R, Rfree and rmsd for bonds and angles. As soon as I was
>> including bulk solven and scaling correction and/or b_group the values
>> were increasing. Although I don't have clear explanation, but that is
>> what I found. Any way these are very little differences and might not be
>> so important.
>>
>> I fixed the problem in dna. The problem was related with the occupancy
>> of the 2 alternate conformations of dna. But, I still have 8 amino
>> acids' (out of 400) phy, psy  out side Ramachandran plot. Probably this
>> does not mater much if I I deposite this co-ordinate in PDB.

>>> main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false strategy=rigid_body+individual_sites
>>> xray_data.high_resolution=2.9 refinement.main.number_of_macro_cycles=1
>>> output.write_maps=true output.prefix=nov139 --overwrite
>>>

>>> The above command seems extremely weird to me for the following
>>> reasons:
>>> 1) Bulk-solvent correction and anisotropic scaling always has to be
>>> done
>>> (unless you are experimenting with fake data or these corrections
>>> have
>>> been already applied to Fobs, which is bad ideas anyway). By using
>>> "main.bulk_solvent_and_scale=false" you turn bulk-solvent
>>> correction and
>>> anisotropic scaling off.
>>>
>>> 2) By default, phenix.refine does 3 refinement macro-cycles, but
>>> often
>>> (depending how far you are from the final model) this is not enough
>>> for
>>> refinement to converge, so increasing it to 5 or so is a good idea.
>>> Doing just one macro-cycle
>>> (refinement.main.number_of_macro_cycles=1)
>>> does not make much sense to me. By the way, you can use shortcuts
>>> like
>>> "main.number_of_m=5".
>>>
>>> 3) You can drop this off the list since it is the default setting
>>> anyway: "simulated_annealing=false".
>>>
>>> 4) The refinement strategy: "strategy=rigid_body+individual_sites".
>>> Normally, you do the rigid body refinement at initial stages of
>>> refinement when your model is poor, and not at the final run. This
>>> is
>>> because the rigid-body refinement can be very rude on your model:
>>> bonds
>>> can be broken between rigid groups since no restraints is used, for
>>> example. Also, it's strange that the ADP refinement is turned off -
>>> it's
>>> always good to do, and at 2.8A you can still refined individual
>>> ADPs.
>>> Well, I'm not mention using TLS...
>>>
>>> So, I would modify the above command as following:
>>>
>>> phenix.refine 1205A-p21212.mtz nov138_001.pdb ncs_groups.params
>>> main.ncs=true ncs.find_automatically=false
>>> refinement.ncs.excessive_distance_limit=None
>>> xray_data.high_resolution=2.9 output.write_maps=true
>>> output.prefix=test
>>> --overwrite
>>>
>>> and try running it as is, and with adding keywords
>>> "optimize_wxc=true
>>> optimize_wxu=true", using a model with or w/o H riding H atoms,