[phenixbb] occupancy refinement

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 24 20:37:16 PST 2009

Hi Maia,

the atom parameters, such as occupancy, B-factor and even position are
interdependent in some sense. That is, if you have somewhat incorrect
occupancy, that B-factor refinement may compensate for it; if you
misplaced an atom the refinement of its occupancy or/and B-factor will
compensate for this. Note in all the above cases the 2mFo-DFc and
mFo-DFc maps will appear almost identical, as well as R-factors.

So, I think your goal of finding a "true" occupancy is hardly achievable.

Although, I think you can approach it by doing very many refinements
(say, several hundreds) (where you refine occupancies, B-factors and
coordinates) each refinement starting with different occupancy and
B-factor values, and make sure that each refinement converges. Then
select a subset of refined structures with similar and low R-factors
(discard those cases where refinement got stuck for whatever reason and
R-factors are higher) (and probably similar looking 2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc
maps in the region of interest). Then see where the refined occupancies
and B-factors are clustering, and the averaged values will probably give
you an approximate values for occupancy and B. I did not try this myself
but always wanted to.

If you have a structure consisting of 9 carbons and one gold atom, then
I would expect that the  "second digit" in gold's occupancy would
matter. However, if we speak about dozen of ligand atoms (which are
probably a combination of C,N,O) out of a few thousands of atoms of the
whole structure, then I would not expect the "second digit" to be
visibly important.

Pavel.