[phenixbb] TLS and ligand question

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 25 12:42:09 PST 2009

  The statement that occupancy and B factor are correlated means that
you can increase or decrease the occupancy while simultaneously
increasing or decreasing the B factor w/o changing the R value much.
This means that the R value can't tell you much about the correct
settings.  Since the R value is just a measure of the overall r.m.s.
of the difference map (basically), the difference map isn't going to
help much either.

   If you have high enough resolution to see features in the map when
you change occupancy and B factor then those combinations are ruled
out, but refinement will not generate those combinations because the
goal of refinement is to flatten difference maps.

   You can't get around the fact that at medium resolutions this
correlation exits and will cause your occupancy and B factor parameters
to have large error bars.  Forcing the occupancy to be equal to one
can make you feel better, but from you description it is clear that
that model is incorrect.  You are trying to decide between an
incorrect model that has the illusion of precision and a model that
optimally fits your data but is imprecise.

   If I believe a ligand is only partially occupied I'll perform
the group occupancy refinement and use the comparison of the average
B factor to the neighboring B factors as a validation, but note in
any mention of the final occupancy its high uncertainty.  If some
conclusion of you paper depends on the occupancy being 50% and not
60% you had better try some other technique - 2 Angstrom crystallography
is not going to do the trick for you.

   Remember, when your compound is not present it is likely that
water molecules will be.  The strongest features in your density are
likely to be places that switch between your compound and water.
If you have an apo crystal model you can find these waters easily,
otherwise you will have to deduce their locations from these strong
regions of density.

Dale Tronrud