[phenixbb] difference map peaks

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 6 14:08:59 PDT 2009

Hi Ravi,

> 1.
> I am getting difference map peaks (in Coot) of magnitude less than -5
> sigmas (0.24 e/A3) (~10 or more peaks) and equal number of positive
> peaks of same magnitudes.
> The positive peaks hardly have 2fo-fc of more than 1.0 sigma level. I
> presumed this well could be due to bulk solvent or improper mask.
> Therefore I optimized the mask parameters (by giving option under
> "General refinement parameters" in phenix.refine GUI). I could get my
> R free lower as expected but I still got these peaks back. Although I
> am not absolutely sure, but positive peaks are more in  polar pocket
> of protein and negative peaks are more in non-polar and aromatic
> pockets. I have PEG, Na acetate in my crystal soup. What these
> negative peaks represent for?

Compute 2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc Average Kick maps and see if these peaks
are still there. If they disappear  - lucky you, if not, then will think
more. If you do not know what an Average Kick map is, check slide #20 here:
http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/rsr/afonine_05OCT2009_.pdf

> 2.
> During addition of atoms like Na+, Cl- in map, do one need to careful
> about of the its coordination valency in surrounding pocket. ?

Not 100% sure, but at 3A resolution yes... Hope some one else comments
on this.