[phenixbb] AutoMR and capsids

Christina Bourne bournecr at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 11:16:20 PDT 2009

Hi Katherine,
Back when I did this with HBV I had one capsid per crystallographic AsU and I used Amore (pre-phaser or phenix).  I searched with the icosohedral ASU looking for 60 copies, and was surprised how easily the solution fell out.  If you use this strategy, you really just need one icos ASU per capsid and you can then expand the rest using standard icos symmetry.
I think the answer will be do what's easiest, and if it's 99% ID it should fall out pretty easily anyway.  Bear in mind that depending on what you've done to these capsids the icos ASU's may have slightly re-oriented (in my case I had added a drug that kept the icos ASU identical but had tilted the whole thing relative to the plane of the capsid).  This may also guide your strategy.
Good luck,
Christina

PS- Isn't Mavis around in Florida somewhere, or are you even in her lab?  She and Rob are a great resource....