[phenixbb] running phenix in the background

Maia Cherney chern at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 17 12:23:48 PDT 2009

Thank for giving me a lot of suggestions.
I did not do the > refine.log thing, as I always get log files
automatically during each run. I was checking the remote log file after
I closed the terminal and the job was running for some time before it
stopped. I will try this >, it may be the solution to my problem.

Engin Ozkan wrote:
> Hi Maia,
>
> I can even close my laptop and open it and phenix starts running where
> it was. I can run jobs remotely and log out just fine. Are you sure you
> are running your job like this:
> Something like
> phenix.refine bla bla bla > refine.log &
>  > is for directing the output from the default [usually the terminal]
> to a someplace else, like a log file.
> & is for running a job in the background.
>
> Engin
>
> On 9/17/09 11:39 AM, Francis E Reyes wrote:
>
>> You can also use 'screen' to launch unix jobs in the background and
>> you'll be able to close the terminal.
>>
>> You will, however, not be able to put your computer to sleep as most
>> sleep modes halt the computer hardware.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> FR
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Maia Cherney wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that if you run phenix in the background, you cannot close
>>> the
>>> terminal. Otherwise, the job stops. I want to run a job remotely in