[phenixbb] individual_sites_real_space?

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 7 11:15:43 PDT 2010

Hi Francis,

sorry for the lack of documentation on this subject. I will add it soon.
Here is a16 pages of summary about real-space refinement in general and
what's available in phenix.refine:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/rsr.pdf

Doing real-space refinement on the whole model
(individual_sites_real_space) is not very advantageous thing compared to
equivalent reciprocal-space refinement. As the above slides show, the
power of real-space refinement is that it can be done locally and
grid-search can be used (which dramatically increases convergence
radius). Often, combined real and reciprocal space refinement yields a
better model. However, I would recommend to start with
"fix_rotamers=true" option which will go residue-by-residue and fix them
locally if necessary.

Pavel.