[phenixbb] refinement at 3.7A

vincent Chaptal vchaptal at mednet.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 9 10:35:15 PDT 2010

Hello list,

i would like to add a following discussion to yesterday's low resolution
refinement question: What is low res? at what resolution should we use
only rigid body refinement or can we use minimization as well?

In my case, i have a 2.7A and a 3.7A structures, of 2 different mutants,
in the same space groups and cell parameters. After refining the high
res one, i'm wondering what is the best strategy to refine the low res one?
If i do a simple rigid body refinement, I have R=32.1, Rfree=35.8. If i
use individual site refinement, i have R=30.7, Rfree=35.8. (both with
group ADP, TLS and NCS).
The statistics look good and the maps look great. There isn't any
feature in the difference map so i'm guessing i'm done with refinement?
(I'm afraid of over-refining it as the map look too good for this
resolution. )

I was also advised to add hydrogen bond restraints to maintain secondary
structures, I guess upon using minimization refinement?

Basically, could you update me on what's today's dogma on what type of
refinement we should use at what resolution?
( i couldn't find this info on the phenix web site, sorry if i missed it)
thank you very much.
vincent