[phenixbb] refinement at 3.7A

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 9 12:00:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Christina Bourne <bournecr at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I can tell you from my work with a 5A virus capsid that NCS can make your
> maps look much better than the resolution dictates.  You didn't say how much
> NCS you have, but you may also consider NCS averaging as a tool.  Also be
> aware of high NCS contaminating the free set of reflections- I think Phenix
> can auto-magically pick in thin shells to mitigate this effect.

Partially correct - it can pick in thin shells but this isn't automatic.
 Either the reflection file editor in the GUI or phenix.refine (when
starting without a test set) will do this if requested.

For general reading on low-resolution crystallography, there are a couple of
recent reviews by Axel Brunger et al.:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19171967
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16855310

-Nat