[phenixbb] model vs Wilson b-factor

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 21 10:56:47 PDT 2010

Hi Gino,

here are a few points:

- my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the accuracy
of Wilson B estimate drops with the resolution: lower the resolution,
less accurate is the estimate;

- Wilson B is not a given calculated value - it's just an estimate;

- the total atomic B-factor includes the trace of overall anisotropic
scale matrix (see Fmodel formula for the total model structure factor:
Fmodel = scale_overall * exp(-h*U_overall*ht) * (Fcalc + k_sol *
exp(-B_sol*s^2) * Fmask) ). You can try to disable this and see if this
was the cause (use "apply_back_trace_of_b_cart=true" keyword for this).

- the things you "tried to resolve this discrepancy" will unlikely to
change the average B-factor;

- assuming that you used the proper model parameterization and
refinement strategy given your model and data quality,  I would just
accept these values as a matter of fact.

Pavel.